ChatWith.IO: tracking your WhatsApp Widget in Universal Analytics using Google Tag Manager [Implementation Guide]
Read our manual to track your WhatsApp Widget events with Google Tag Manager
This guide assumes you are integrating with Universal Analytics and already have Page View tracking set up for it. For Google’s new product, follow our other guide. (I shall create you GA4 setup and guide later, as agreed. Vuk)
ChatWith widget can send interaction events to the data layer. You can capture these using Google Tag Manager and forward them to Google’s Universal Analytics. Please follow the steps below to achieve proper tracking:
- You must have a Google Tag Manager account. If you do not have one, you can open one here: https://tagmanager.google.com/
- You must have a Google Universal Analytics account. If you do not have one, you can create one here: https://analytics.google.com/
If you prefer to skip the step by step process, you can download this file (FILE ATTACHED WITH THIS DOCUMENT, SO JUST HYPERLINK IT) and import it in your Google Tag Manager. Then update the tag to utilize your Universal Analytics variable as detailed in step 3.c.
- Create variables:
- Navigate to the appropriate Workspace, open the Variables menu and click the New button: https://prnt.sc/2o-5sy97OqFv
- Create the following custom variables with Data Layer Variable, type being Version 1:
- Note: Please copy and paste Data Layer Variable names as provided in this guide. These are case-sensitive. If you fail to do so, your tracking will not work.
- Create a trigger:
- Navigate to the Triggers menu and click the New button: https://prnt.sc/myHCaEchLG-n
- Create the following Custom Event trigger with the event name chatwith: https://prnt.sc/7yW4Nk3YBeBi
- Note: Please copy and paste the Event name as provided in this guide. These are case-sensitive. If you fail to do so, your tracking will not work.
- Create a tag:
- Navigate to the Tags menu and click the New button: https://prnt.sc/gbXKetdxz0i3
- Select the tag type Universal Analytics: https://prnt.sc/eDI30PIf0jRD
- Select the track type as Event and populate Category/Action/Label fields with the appropriate variables created in step 1, then add your Google Analytics Settings variable in the highlighted box: https://prnt.sc/lq040ZpRoDdh
- Note: If you have named the variables the same as in our images, you can overwrite the naming from the image. Otherwise, please use your names. The most certain way to add the variables is by clicking on the plus sign next to each item and selecting the variable you need: https://prnt.sc/EvFjNWrmM6pk
- Set a trigger created in step 2 for the tag: https://prnt.sc/KZAv77I-1KXI
Don’t forget to publish your changes to GTM container after testing by pressing the Submit button. You are done. Good luck! (You can some images how end results in UA look if you like, or I can do the same. VUK)